Zimbabwe Protests Stopped by Government Soldiers

A heavy security presence in Zimbabwe’s capital Friday shut down planned opposition protests against the government’s handling of corruption and the economy.On social media Friday, Zimbabwean police said the country was “calm and peaceful” and urged the public to continue with their normal day-to-day activities “with the full knowledge that their safety and security is guaranteed.” In Harare, however, armed soldiers and police ordered shops to close down early and sealed off all roads leading to the central business district.Armed soldiers and police ordered shops to close down early and sealed off all roads leading to the central business district, Harare, July 31, 2020. (Columbus Mavhunga/VOA)While a handful of demonstrators tried to gather, security forces made sure that protests planned by opposition groups never got off the ground.Makomborero Haruzivishe, one of the organizers of the protests, spoke to VOA by phone from an undisclosed location, saying he characterized the day as a victory for the opposition.“For us, the demonstration was very successful. Because we are all usually victims of ZANU-PF, we are all victims of corruption, but when we call for demonstrations against poverty, against high prices, usually people of Zimbabwe will get into streets,” he said.”But today we made a strategy and shut down and went home and left police officers and soldiers to demonstrate on our behalf in the streets,” he continued. “If you check the amount of resources that were used to deploy those merchants of terror by the panicking Mnangagwa regime, so we have delivered a score: There was people’s powered shutdown. This is just the beginning of weeks, months revolution.”Tafadzwa Mugwadi, spokesman for the ruling Zanu PF party, says Zimbabweans snubbed the Friday protest calls because of the coronavirus epidemic, in Harare, July 21, 2020. (Columbus Mavhunga/VOA)Haruzivishe is one of 14 political activists being sought by police in connection with the protests, which were not sanctioned by authorities, as required by law.Tafadzwa Mugwadi, the spokesman for the ruling ZANU-PF party, said Zimbabweans snubbed the protest calls because of the coronavirus epidemic. Business owner and ZANU-PF supporter Samson Malibho says he was against the protests because they affect his business of mending tires in Highfields, one of Harare’s poorest suburbs, July 31, 2020. (Columbus Mavhunga/VOA)“It is … clear that Zimbabweans (are) aware of the realities of COVID-19 and this is why they have spurned and literally have refused to participate in the purported demonstrations that had been called irresponsibly by merchants of death,” Mugwadi said.ZANU-PF supporter Samson Malibho said he was against the protests because they affect his business of mending tires in Highfields, one of Harare’s poorest suburbs.“It’s a dead day, people are not moving around because of the opposition planned protests,” he said. “There is no business activity. People have been ordered to remain indoors to contain the protests. Such events – protests – are useless and affect our livelihoods, we depend on informal businesses.”Abduction trialMeanwhile, the trial of three female Zimbabwe opposition leaders facing charges of faking their abduction began Friday.The women disappeared for two days in May and said they were kidnapped and beaten by state security agents.Women’s rights group Equality Now released a statement calling for the charges against the trio to be dropped.  The three – Joana Mamombe, Netsai Marova and Cecilia Chimbiri – face 10 years in jail if convicted. 
 

your ad here

US Pulling Africa Command from Germany

The United States is preparing to pull more troops from Germany, days after President Donald Trump criticized the country for being “delinquent” on defense spending.U.S. Africa Command confirmed Friday it is in the early stages of moving its headquarters from the city of Stuttgart, where it has been located since the command was first stood up in 2008.“U.S. Africa Command has been told to plan to move,” its commander, Gen. Stephen Townsend, said in a statement. “While it will likely take several months to develop options, consider locations, and come to a decision, the command has started the process.”U.S. military officials have been looking for months at reducing the approximately 6,000 troops stationed in Africa.  FILE – U.S. Army Lt. Gen. Stephen Townsend watches during a tour north of Baghdad, Iraq, Feb. 8, 2017.“It is important our African partners understand our commitment to them remains strong,” Townsend said in Friday’s statement, adding his command “will continue to work with our African and other partners to address mutual interests.”While a new site for the command headquarters has not yet been chosen, an AFRICOM official told VOA that planners will be looking first to other European countries, and then at moving the command to the U.S.“The team will look at available infrastructure, housing, access to transportation, adequate medical care, and a range of other consideration factors,” said AFRICOM spokesman Col. Chris Karns.“It will be a deliberate and orderly approach and process,” he added, noting, “It was important to let partners as well as personnel and families know that planning is under way.”Africa itself, where the U.S. has long tried to maintain a small military footprint, is not under consideration, officials said.Just how much moving AFRICOM’s headquarters from Stuttgart will cost, and how much money could be saved by using another location, has yet to be determined.Reaction to changesWhile U.S. military officials argue the changes are strategically necessary and will give them more flexibility, German officials have expressed disappointment at the U.S. decision to pull some 12,000 troops from the country.FILE – Norbert Roettgen, Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Bundestag, speaks during a press conference in Berlin, Germany, Feb. 18, 2020.”Instead of strengthening NATO, the troop withdrawal will weaken the alliance,” Norbert Roettgen, a senior ally of German Chancellor Angela Merkel and the chairman of the German parliament’s foreign affairs committee, told the Augsburger Allgemeine newspaper.U.S. lawmakers, including some Republicans who often side with Trump, have also raised concerns about the changes, though Sen. Jim Inhofe, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, has called the moves “sound.”Trump defended the decision to pull troops out of Germany earlier this week, suggesting the U.S. could move troops based with other NATO allies if those countries do not increase defense spending.”We don’t want to be the suckers anymore,” he told reporters Wednesday.But some analysts have raised concerns that moving troops and critical commands from Germany will hurt overall operations.“We get huge benefits from our U.S. military posture in Germany,” said Bradley Bowman, a former adviser to members of the Senate Armed Services and Foreign Relations committees.“We are able to project U.S. military power into North Africa and the Middle East much more effectively because of our military posture in Germany,” said Bowman, now with the Washington-based Foundation for the Defense of Democracies. 
 

your ad here

Requirements for Huawei Official’s Extradition to US Have Been Met, Canada Says

Canada’s attorney general says the requirements for extraditing Huawei Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou to the United States on charges of bank fraud have been met, documents submitted in a British Columbia court show.Meng, 48, was arrested in December 2018 on a warrant from the United States, which alleges that she misled the bank HSBC about Huawei’s business dealings in Iran.Meng has been under house arrest in Vancouver since then, fighting extradition, and has said she is innocent. Her case has caused a diplomatic row between Canada and China, which has demanded that Meng be released. China detained two Canadians after Meng’s arrest.The documents, which were filed last week and released to media Friday, are a precursor to the formal hearing on committal, or whether Meng should be extradited to the United States. Those hearings will take place in April 2021.The documents outline the evidence in support of Meng’s custody and conclude that the test for committal has been met.Assessment of charges’ potentialThe extradition hearings are not a full trial on the charges laid by the United States, the documents state, only whether there is the potential for those charges to be found valid.”The evidence demonstrates that Ms. Meng deliberately made dishonest representations to HSBC in an attempt to preserve Huawei’s relationship with the bank,” lawyers for the Canadian Minister of Justice and Attorney General David Lametti wrote.”Since Ms. Meng concedes that she is the person sought for prosecution for the conduct set out in the extradition request, all of the formal requirements for committal are established.”Huawei declined to comment and pointed instead to its past legal submissions on its arguments.In May, a judge in British Columbia’s Superior Court found that the legal standard of double criminality — meaning that Meng’s actions could be considered a crime in both Canada and the United States — had been met, dealing a blow to hopes for a quick end to the trial.The next hearings, scheduled for August 17-21 in Vancouver, will discuss whether the attorney general’s assertion of privilege in declining to release some documents requested by Huawei relating to Meng’s initial arrest is valid.Hearings for the trial are scheduled to wrap up in April 2021, although the potential for appeals of the decision from either side means the case could drag out over several years.

your ad here

Тиждень слави! 22-29 липня 2014 року. Антизрада. ЗСУ заслужили на згадку!

Тиждень слави! 22-29 липня 2014 року. Антизрада. ЗСУ заслужили на згадку!
 

 
 
Для поширення вашого відео чи повідомлення в Мережі Правди пишіть сюди, або на email: pravdaua@email.cz
 
 
Найкращі пропозиції товарів і послуг в Мережі Купуй!
 
 
Ваші потенційні клієнти про потрібні їм товари і послуги пишуть тут: MeNeedit
 

your ad here

Интернет локаут путляндии произойдет в 2022 году

Интернет локаут путляндии произойдет в 2022 году.

Власти подлампичили закон о “суверенном интернете”, который вступит в силу в 2022 году, согласно которому из страны будет минимизирована передача данных, а внутренний трафик будет жестко подконтролен
 

 
 
Для распространения вашего видео или сообщения в Сети Правды пишите сюда, или на email: pravdaua@email.cz
 
 
Лучшие предложения товаров и услуг в Сети SeLLines
 
 
Ваши потенциальные клиенты о нужных им товарах и услугах пишут здесь: MeNeedit
 

your ad here

Лукашенко пошел ва-банк: пленные “вагнеровцы”, “лечение трактором” и “пощечина” пукину…

Лукашенко пошел ва-банк: пленные “вагнеровцы”, “лечение трактором” и “пощечина” пукину…

На “выборах” в Беларуси вырисовывается богатая сюжетная линия, не вполне понятной пока кривизны…
 

 
 
Для распространения вашего видео или сообщения в Сети Правды пишите сюда, или на email: pravdaua@email.cz
 
 
Лучшие предложения товаров и услуг в Сети SeLLines
 
 
Ваши потенциальные клиенты о нужных им товарах и услугах пишут здесь: MeNeedit
 

your ad here